Wednesday, October 26, 2005

"Recovery Weekend"

After last week's devatstating Cardinals loss to the Astros that closed the great Busch Stadium forever, which also denied me a chance to see the World Series in what could have been that stadium's final game, I have a weekend planned to cheer things up.
The White Sox might help, since they are leading 1-0 in the 8th inning, now in game four of the World Series, which they lead 3-0. Brad Lidge will never forget the "Killer 'P's'!" - Podsednik and Pujols!


First, Friday, there's a double-header of high school football at Paul Brown Stadium, and this time, there are two serious conference match-ups. It's definitely nice to see a publicly funded, and very magnificent, facility get more use since they installed FieldTurf there last year.

From the Greater Miami Conference, it's defending state champion Colerain Cardinals (8-1) against the Oak Hills Highlanders (5-4) at 6:00 pm. Scheduled at approximately 8:30 is the second game, the St. Xavier Bombers (9-0), who are rated #1 in Ohio, and very highly nationally, go up against Greater Catholic League South foe Moeller Crusaders (6-3).


Saturday morning, it's a journey up I-71 toward Geauga Lake. This will be the first time I have visited that park three days in a year. Their 10 coasters are always a joy to ride, and their monorail is a must for me when I'm there. After several hours there, I will take the 1.5 hour drive to sister park Cedar Point in Sandusky - it might be a "beehive" of activity. I will, however, get a little more rest, since I'm staying at Hotel Breakers, my first time ever. No need to get in the car after a busy night - I'm right on the peninsula!

Sunday morning will bring me back into my favorite amusement park, for its final day of operation in 2005. It will also be the very final day for White Water Landing, which will be removed to make way for future expansion, possibly a new 2007 attraction.
If sold after this season, Demon Drop may also be removed.
At noon, there will be a live recording of the CoasterBuzz Podcast in the Red Garter Saloon (near Millennium Force). Special Guest: Cedar Fair CEO, Dick Kinzel!

It's not quite the farewell I had hoped for this week, but hell, it's Cedar Point (and Geauga Lake)!

No comments: