Saturday, October 22, 2005

"Please, Tom, forget St. Louis."

"Please, Tom, forget St. Louis."

This sounds like something I might have heard a lot this past week. It almost sounds like a movie title (Forget Paris) which was pretty funny.

In the past, I never saw this year's events coming. All I could think about were: coasters, parks, planning, politics, news, football, food, classic rock, monorails, etc. It got ridiculous how often I uttered the word "monorail" the first half of the year, as a wrote a senior thesis on a certain elevated transit system in Las Vegas.

During the writing of of this (Uno)rail thesis, I was planning some trips to get away from the one-tracked routine. Cedar Point and Geauga Lake were on the top of the list. Heading back to Pennsylvania for some new coasters, and maybe even New Jersey, also came up. A little bit closer was a park some friends have been to, and was a bit envious about - Six Flags St. Louis... they thought it was OK.

Before deciding, I reminded myself I'm into more than coasters and parks, so what did this mean? Why not combine SFSTL with a visit to Downtown. A trip to and inside to the top of the Gateway Arch was obvious. But something else jumped out at me, slowly at first - this would be the last year for Busch Stadium, home of the Cardinals, a team that had a good reputation but not too much attention from me. So, before I kicked myself, I bought a ticket to a game over Memorial Day weekend, a hotel room, and such.

I took the trip, took lots of pictures, and went to the game at Busch. I was to try to remain neutral, but before going, the mention and reputation of a player named Albert Pujols was on my mind. They say he was good. I just had to laugh because his name was pronounced "POO-holes."
So, I bought a Pujols shirt inside the stadium, originally to be a new running gag for my friends this summer. I wore it on my park trips. Good times, I guess.

Then, in June, the Cardinals were scheduled to come to Cincinnati in that ballpark supposedly named after Bill Cunningham. I got some good pictures and such, and captured video, too. My camera happened to be rolling when Mr. Bathroom Humor himself hit a 2 run home run. And I am not talking about Bob Saget. The Cardinals had such a good night that this became the last game for Dave Miley as Reds manager. While Miley was out looking for work, I stumbled upon the fact that I now have a serious favorite baseball team. And I was back behind the visitors bench again 2 days later. Yes, the Reds got better with Jerry Narron taking over, but I was pleased to see an awesome lineup in place. Edmonds, Eckstein, Rolen, Walker, Sanders, and "Poo-Holes."

Knowing money was getting short and drives back to St. Louis were just about out of the question, and that the Redbirds wouldn't be back to the Queen City until September, I made an effort to watch as many of their games on the Tee Vee, and for a period of time, especially July and August, the Cardinals were on a lot. By the end of August, I had become a serious fan, and felt the need to come "home" one more time before it got razed like they would do around here for the latest Rookwood phase.
So I'd be coming for the final regular season series at Busch Stadium.
Final game in September at that stadium.
Final Friday game in that stadium.

And so, the time came up to visit that weekend. I was nervous, and feeling somewhat uneasy.
But getting there, in the seating area, I began tearing up like Glenn Beck would talking about his family, the good old days, or a traumatic event. Seeing those arches. The field. The Cardinal logos. The organist playing "Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis."
I could be reminded that St. Louis was hosting my old hometown team, and rooting against them could be treason.
But this was the Cardinals' time. Easily clinching NL Central and on route to 100 wins.
Busch Stadium's time. So many memories, but its final year.
Albert Pujols' time. His fifth season, he's had at least 30 home runs in each.
And my time and money.

The Cardinal greats were there. Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Whitey Herzog, Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, Mark McGwire, and more. A future legend made another mark there, with a grand slam home run. It would be his 200th career, 40th of season home run. His name?
Albert Effing Pujols.
I was convinced that the 2005 team was on par with those from 1967, 1982, 1985, and especially last year's. I was ready to ride the train to a title for a great team. I was not quite ready to say good bye, even though I did so in an orderly fashion that September night.

My next endevour? Try to get a ticket to the World Series. After a few attempts and weeks, I was successful in getting a close seat to Game 5. This was after the Padres were swept in the NLDS by the Cardinals, and the NLCS was underway against the Astros. I wasn't too overconfident knowing the Astros had Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Lance Berkman and a good roster. So, two games at Busch. First game, Cardinals. Second game, Astros. Interesting series so far, let's try harder though.
The Astros may have their home field advantage and a loud bee-hive, and great picting. But The Cardinals? Good pitching too. Plus Eckstein, Edmonds, Puiols, and more. Guys that can hit the ball and score some runns.

Game three in Houston. Astros. I was depressed, but was reminded that Roger Clemens epitomizes excellence. "Let it go." So I did.
Game four in Minute Maid. Somewhat even pitching, but result: Astros. Bad, 'dyoy'-ty calls. La Russa and Edmonds ejected. Meltdown here at Allen Company world headquarters.
Game five, same place, same "djoy." At least for nine incomplete innings. But one man changes things. Again. It's Pujols. I couldn't be much happier. The tables seemed to have turned in the Cardinals' favor. Game: St. Louis!

Am I feeling much better? Not really. All I could think about was the Cardinals. It put a lot of important work aside. I was somewhat happy that the series would come back to Busch for at least once more, but it was making me feel like 'djoy' still.

Wednesday, Game 6 comes, I'm feeling nervous with all the Roy Oswalt talk, and the superstition stuff. Two innings are complete, and so far so good. Then things change. The team fell apart. Like complications from a surgery. The Cardinals were losing, and were eventually down 4 runs. The inevitable was coming. The Cardinals are going to be eliminated from the playoffs and World Series chances. Busch Stadium is going to close FOREVER.
Your friend you just became acquainted with is going to die. There's nothing you can do to save her.
At 10:20:15 p.m, this acquaintance, born as Civic Center Busch Memorial Stadium, was pronounced dead in the city of St. Louis, Missouri.
While I knew she was going to die, I was hoping it would be on a good schedule, and with a celebration. Instead, a bad wreck happned to her on the way, and life was cut about one week too short.
This was to be a storybook season, but near the end of the book, the author (Cardinals) discovered the celebratory booze a bit too early. Time (Astros) did him in.

Knowing that I had the chance to say good-bye, and somehow I took it. Like an actual person's death, all you could do was move on, no chance in bringing Busch back. The Astros won the NL title fair and square. Roy Oswalt played with class. The demolition crews have moved upon Busch, and Wednesday night was the point of know return.

Kicking and sobbing, I try to explain this is no loss of an ordinary cookie-cutter stadium.
To me, though, this one had character. While some of the concrete donuts said "70s stadium," this one shouted "This is St. Louis!"
The new ballparks are popular and seem attractive, but a collective sameness. They try to combine the old turn of the century looks with modern amenities, but seem to melt together. They all have lots of bricks. Lots of old-age green. Exposed steel and iron. Themed areas. Symmetrical asymmetry. Premium seating. Funky looking seats that still aren't comfortable. Canned sound effects. Liberal usage of the Copperplate font.
Busch was a place in time. The Arches, the space-age cornices, the 'old' modern fixtures. Clean lines. Helvetica signage. Structurally sound. Just a bit proportionately incorrect.

But why wasn't I upset with Riverfront, Three Rivers, or Veterans being torn down?
I admit, when 'Cinergy' fell, it was to me, a Hollywood special effect spectacle more than a death. Maybe because the teams closing them down weren't that good.

In short, I am letting go of what needs to be turned loose. I will return my unused ticket next week for a refund.
Some things, however, can't be discarded. The 2005 Cardinals were worth writing about. Chris Carpenter pitched very well. I will always admire Albert Pujols and his balance of power and humility.

So let me say:
To Houston, Congratulations, and good luck in the World Series!
To Busch Stadium, rest in peace.
To the Cardinals, next year can be much better, even with some of your key assets have left for good!
To Roy Oswalt: You delivered a terrific 'Top Ten," and read it after it was revised so that it didn't cross the line, keeping you as a class act.
To George and Barbara Bush: You were some of the few Astros fans I was happy to see in the series!

Now I realize that, despite attachments, the New Busch Stadium will be great. The Cardinals will be back! I still need a job! There are other teams and sports that I like. I get to go to Cedar Point (and Geauga Lake) for the last time this year, and say goodbye to White Water Landing for good. There's more to life than buildings and coasters, and earthly things.

So, while I have not exactly forgotten St. Louis, I don't dwell on it anymore. I still need some kind of job. I love the Wolverines and the Colts, too. Political and planning/city/regional issues keep me up and going. And American Idol starts up again in January, so I can't wait for Simon to rip apart singers both bad and good.


Note: 'djoy' was an euphemism the Late Show with Dave has used for word having to do with excremen. It starts with 's", is located to the left of keys 'd, j, o, y,' and is a 'hit.'

No comments: