Sunday, May 29, 2005

Live from St. Louis, MO.

It's me, checking in from the Adam's Mark hotel in Downtown St. Louis this morning. I can see the old Courthouse and Busch Stadium out my window! Yesterday was an exciting day for me in the "new" city. Saw the Famous-Barr store, they only use the lower six floors, but there has to be about 20 floors total of building... there's also some old wooden escalators (steel steps) on the upper floors in the six or seven...
There's also the MetroLink light rail. I would often sneeze at light rail, but when it takes people to major destinations, it can be a relief from headache traffic. I took it for a short ride, from the City Center to over in western Illinois across the lower deck of the Eads Bridge.
I also went to the Gateway Arch, the thing may be 40 years old, but it's still truly amazing. I had to wait 20-30 min for security clearance, but I had bought my ticket in adavnce, so within short time, I was on my way up the cabins to the top. It's crazy.
One of the main reasons I came was to see the St Louis Cardinals baseball game at Busch Stadium, because this is the last season for the current stadium. I thought the current refreshment and restroom facilities were accurate, as lines for food were minimal, and not present for restrooms. And I think the place was sold out. To the south, the new Busch Stadium is going up. It should be a great place for 'baseball's best fans" with a baseball only configuration and stff like activity zones and escalators, though the ramps in the current one weren't too bad.
Today I'll be at Six Flags St. Louis, third and last of the original Six Flags parks, should be a good time. They have lots of neat stuff, from a B&M invert to a Rotor. Hoping it's not too crowded.
Then tomorrow, Holiday World, with 2 trains on Raven, a bigger Splashin' Safari, and some sighting of what's going on for 2006. They say it's big!

No comments: