Saturday, October 27, 2007

My long-awaited return, now in Columbus.

It's been a long summer since I was last here, and a lot has happened since then. I've started and left a part-time job, ridden the new Maverick at Cedar Point, ridden coasters at Geauga Lake for the last time ever, traveled to our nation's capital to ride coasters, see baseball, the Simpsons Movie, and ride their great Metro, and a few other things.

Oh, and for the first time in over 20 years, I've relocated, though it's not truly on permanent basis. I've relocated to The Ohio State University in Columbus, and am studying in the 3+-year Master of Architecture program at Knowlton School of Architecture. Making this move, I believe, and hope, will be one of the best decisions I have ever made. I needed a change of scenery, and it's not too bad, living on the 11th floor of the Graduate Tower on campus. Not only is there a nice view of the campus from above, the view to the south of Downtown Columbus is awesome.

I don't have a car, and honestly, knowing what my first 2/3 of the year has been for me, that can't be too bad, since I can either walk or take COTA, Columbus' bus system to some places. There's a good shuttle out to a shopping center with Target, AMC Theatres, Staples, and other stores. The bus up and down High Street is also great, especially to go to Short North district, the Arena District, Downtown, and north to Clintonville. Downtown has some great pros (and cons), with the Arena District, some good high-rises, theatres, and the like. However, the state of Columbus City Center (mall) has been depressing for the past several years, especially when Lazarus closed its great downtown store. Now Macy's (formerly Kaufmann's) is closing... It's odd how Cincinnati now seems to have the most vibrant downtown now.

As for the schooling, you could say "challenging" would be a nice word to describe it. Up to 12 hours a week in group critique sessions, and "banal" being the new "bullsh**..." it's not combat duty in Iraq, but it can be rough. But like our servicemen and women overseas, I think my role and hard work will mean something one day.

No comments: