Saturday, April 15, 2006

St. Louis: Back from Hockey and more

Today's activities began at Six Flags St. Louis theme park, in the suburb of Eureka, MO. The crowds werfe light, and I had a wonderful time. Unfortunately, I left early because of impending storms, but it gave me time to do more things. On the way back, I listened to the Cardinals game on 550 KTRS, and the Redbirds had a considerable lead over the "Tireds." I drove past the stadium, where a Cardinal home run was scored, and I could see fireworks shot out of the scoreboard area. I saw the end in my hotel room, final score 9-3 STL.

I got back out, and walked over to Famous-Barr department store, checked out stuff, and rode the various escalators, including wooden Otis escalators (the steps were steel, though). The store is expected to remain open after F-B and other May Co. nameplates are phased out for Macy's as part of Federated's acquisition of May.

I walked to the nearest Metrolink station from there, and rode the train over to Union Station. What an amazing complex! The former rail yard was converted into parking, restaurants, a small lake, Hyatt hotel, and shopping mall. The grand main building and grand hall were restored in the great Gothic style. While at Union Station, I ran into a broadcaster who was in town calling the game against the Cardinals. Hint: George W. Bush got his last name wrong!

After a meal and the odd encounter, I went to the SAVVIS Center arena nearby, for the Blues vs. Redwings NHL game. I think it's truly a major-league first class arena, good scoreboard system, and emphasis on escalators for moving fans up and down rather than stairs, ramps, and escalators (see "new Busch Stadium" on how not to do it).

Starting off, I got the chance to hear one of the greatest renditions of the national anthem I've EVER heard live in person, backed up with the organ. Again, the Blues, like a select few other sports teams, has respect for a great traditon known as the organ.

The game was fun, right until the end when the Detroit Red Wings scored, winning 3-2, but it was nice to see some of the best players in the game, just like I came to see the Cardinals in the new Busch Stadium, especially Albert Pujols.

Tomorrow, I'll go to the Arch, and a nearby Mass for Easter, and of course, Cardinals vs. Reds at new Busch Stadium, before a long, hard drive back home. They say St. Louis was the center of the world in 1904. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true today, at least in the sports world. Add 'what if.." an NBA team calling SAVVIS Center home might confirm that claim... Yes, some great structures have vanished, like the St. Louis Arena, Kiel Auditorium, Sportsman's Park, and Busch Memorial Stadium - but the spirit of the Cardinals, Blues, and.. to some extent.. the Rams (who played 4 games in Busch II in '95) will remain.

And not a bad Six Flags park either. The Boss was still great fun, and Bugs Bunny National Park is beautiful!

Tomorrow, I may make a quick post before I head off to Busch for the Sunday game, and after that, its Queen City or Bust! (not before passing through Johh-Effing-Kerry-Ham and In-di-an-ap-ol-is.)

No comments: