Sunday, December 11, 2005

An Introduction to Front Page Title Gags

On early Thursday Morning when the demolition of Busch Stadium in St. Louis came to a close with the fall of the last section, I changed my page title from "Welcome to Allen Arena!" to "Allen Arena - Remembering Busch Stadium 1966-2005." Having moved on, oddly enough, I decided to change the title back on Saturday.

Or make the front page title a bit fun. On Friday night, "Larry the Cable Guy" was a guest on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Being one of the most famous representatives of redneck (and quite possibly middle American) culture, he brought up a recent trip to The Home Depot, a great wonder for manly men like Larry. Almost a 'city within a city, ' Larry noted a hot dog stand near the front of the store which kept him fed. And then that hot dog eventually needed out. Can't verify if this was true, but he had to settle for one of the toilets in the Plumbing section.

That's why I went with "Allen Arena - The toilets in the Plumbing department of Home Depot are for Display Only!"

It reminds me of an old Best Buy commercial with the theme of trying products out in the store. Easy to do with computers, video game consoles, audio systems, and widescreen HDTVs after hours of hard work. Bad idea when it comes to toilets after some spicy Mexican food.



To keep up your interest, I changed it early this morning to: "Go You Panthers... no, Hear That Bengal Growl... uh, On, Brave Old Army... I'll shut up now."

Yes, I've heard the Elder HS fight song a few times, including on the Bill Cunningham show. One of those great high school football traditions.
The Bengals Growl fight song may have aged, but it's a neat fight song. Sounds better IMO than that who-dey stuff.
And on Saturday, ESPN premiered a new feature film called CodeBreakers, based on the 1950 U.S. Military Academy football team where some cadets are expelled for cheating. In the credits, "On, Brave Old Army Team" becomes the new selection for Karaoke Hour.


I'll be back soon with an update on more title gags. I can't say what they are, but I can say that this is a big week for Simpsons fans like myself. Tonight, Kelsey Grammer is back as Sideshow Bob in a new episode. And Tuesday, Season 7 goes out on DVD!

No comments: