Saturday, April 02, 2005

TR: PKI 4/2/05

Today I visited Kings Island for its first operating day open to the public in 2005. Hours were scheduled to be 10 am to 8 pm, but the Park closed at noon, just two hours from opening. Why? Just so windy, cold, wet, and few people. It was one of the worst days, and probably the worst Jeff Siebert could remember. (PKI will be open tomorrow, Sunday, for passholders starting at 10 am, and open until 8, weather permitting).

Upon entering the park, I got a souvenir cup (free) which I believe gets me refills all season long for 99¢. Nice deal.

I first did Flight of Fear, twice. Lights on! Honestly, I like the ride a bit better with the lights on, because it doesn't happen so often.

Next, Dodgems. Weak and slow... that's all I'll say.

The Beast (one ride, back seat) was running with two trains, not much of an issue today. No different than I remember, a bit rough but still fast and fun.

Some of my friends love the SpongeBob in 3-D, so we did that as well. It's nonsensical and whimsical, but still a favorite.

Our final ride of the day was Scooby-Doo! and the Haunted Castle... I always get the lowest score of my peers!

At closing time, noon, Jeff Siebert gave the luck souls who stayed around a tour of Italian Job: Stunt Track. Instead of walking the perimeter, like on the last two tours, we got to go up closer, into the station, and... tour the tunnel between the middle and end of the ride!
I got some photos of the splash-ending area and the station, but was not alllowed to take any too up close or in the tunnel. Let me say, this thing will be insane: pitch black, sharp turns, and the only light will be from the front and back of the train. IJST will be a lot of fun once it get running in the next two weeks, and even better once theming is in place in May.

Also, Happy Days Diner looked great, and I'm looking forward to some of the new food options, like Graeter's and Chick-fil-A. Starbucks is going in the old French pastry shop, and the old hand dipded ice cream stand will now sell donuts.

No comments: