Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Promotions Gone Bad

It's not like a sports team has pulled off a promotion that was either tasteless, or just plain backfired.

Disco Demolition Night. Cheap Beer Night. Tonya Harding Baseball Bat Day. Nude viewing area (enclosed, tinted tent). Now, Big Ben Motorcycle Helmet Night.

The Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL are back, and in their return season, they've decided to sink to a new low to get fans. Yes, I know that the purpose of the promotion is motorcycle safety, and it's unfortunate that too many riders have lost their lives because they weren't wearing a helmet, Ben Roethlisberger himself made the foolish mistake in not wearing one himself.

But am I the only one who doesn't find this promotion funny? I felt very bad when I heard of Ben's accident - learning that he could have very well died from his injuries. I do not wish injury on anyone*. I have a feeling that partisan Bengals fans think this is a fun way to "get even" with the Steelers. However, I'm sure that the Bengals would NEVER try this kind of promotion, fearing a PR nightmare and/or serious fines by the NFL.

To those who like this promotion: should I suggest that the Pittsburgh Penguins have Carson Palmer Surgery Night?

*I'm willing to make exceptions, such as those who blow up innocent people, skyscrapers, buildings, etc.

No comments: