Wednesday, June 07, 2006

TR: Cedar Point 6/1/06

I arrived at Breakers Express after checking in at about 4pm, moved into my room, but had to wait an hour until my friends came. Fortunately, I learned that Breakers Express and the other Cedar Point resort hotels have free wireless internet access in their lobbies. Therefore, I took my laptop down, though it was a bit of a hassle as my old Dell notebook has very short battery life and tendency to crash. I intend to replace it with a new MacBook eventually. It’s widescreen, built-in wireless, faster, and much longer battery life, so I can hang out in cafes and other hot spots better. So, I had the chance to blog-up my reports, check news, and look at a few YTMNDs.

Just before 5:30, the guys finally arrived and we headed over to Cedar Point. Brian and I parked at the Soak City/Resort gate, and we made our way onto the good old Magnum XL-200. Not much to more to say, except for the great lakeside/beach setting, airtime, and the wind. There’s much more FORCE here than on the blue giga coaster in this park!*

My favorite, Gemini, was running both sides, as the park was somewhat busy. Took a ride on each side. This coaster, 28 years old, has everything to expect from an old classic racing coaster, but much more – great airtime, racing interaction, and head-choppers – and yet still very smooth!

We then went over to Cedar Creek Mine Ride. It’s a fun ride, but not as exciting as Adventure Express at Kings Island. It runs smoother and longer, but I hope eventually they ditch the single T-bar for the newer U-bar restraints found on Express, Magnum, and Gemini.

Our next duty: the new Skyhawk, an S&S Power Screamin’ Swing. I found this to be a good, fun, good capacity flat ride. Not forceful, as I would have thought, but you get some NICE airtime at the pinnacle of the cycle! The section was improved some. The adjacent restrooms in the lower level of the former Frontier Lift station were remodeled, with changing stalls before the actual restroom. (Guess which CP restroom will be renovated next?) This is a great addition, especially for all those who ride Snake River Falls and Thunder Canyon (guests are allowed to ride in only their swim trunks, no shoes or shirt necessary).

Brian and I were going to get on Mean Streak, but we got there at the time they were going to take a train off and go to one train operation. D’OH. Rather than wait, we decided to skip getting MS and headed down to the train station, just after taking photos of the White Water Landing/Project 2007 site. Surprisingly, there more animatronics and theming on this amusement park train, compared to the Hollywood theme park to the South that Cedar Fair is buying…

Getting off the train, we see that Millennium Force is still closed and may be in jeopardy for the big CoasterMania day ahead. But Mantis is open, and has no wait in the station, so we got on the front row. Since there were only 8 or so on that train, the first drop brakes were turned off, giving a nice intense ride. We also notice that Top Thrill Dragster has a short line, on the ramp up to the station, so we make our way there next thing, and in 30 mins or less, ride in row 6 in the rear part of the station.

Being hungry at around 8 or so, we made our way to Famous Dave’s restaurant on the Marina. It’s a very neat place, and great food as well – I had the ribs platter, which was very filling! It set me back over $15 for the meal and drink, but was worthwhile still.

Back into the park, Brian and I hop on the sky ride, going east to ride Raptor, in the front seat. With almost no wait, we get on, and I try my singing routine, but the seasonal bugs ruin that! Great coaster, bad time of year! With less than an hour left, we also go on Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, and Disaster Transport. I might get heat for this, but I like CP’s indoor ride better than Flight of Fear. The bobsled style is neat, and the room with the squealing is cool, too. Just one of those sounds that say “Cedar Point!”

With less than 15 minutes till park close, we make our way toward our car – but with it being next to Magnum XL-200, we decide to ride that great Hypercoaster, in front. It hits the pretzel turn, brakelss, due to few riders on board, even more fun! This is probably my second favorite Cedar Point coaster.

Due to the fact that the CoasterMania gets started after 5am the next day, on the way back to Breakers Express. But old habits die hard. I go to the pool and hot tub for half an hour to cool down, then update my blog and track record with my computer in the lobby. Before “hitting the hay,” I watch Glenn Beck on CNN Headline, the Midnight repeat, or course. One thing I like about Breakers Express is the good selection of channels – not to mention the location, cleanliness, elevators, and more. More on CoasterMania, the next day, to follow soon.

No comments: